Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Power Rankings: Week 8

After an interesting week when things got a little less clear (our top four teams all have 5-2 records), I have not much to comment on in terms of league activity besides updating you all on playoff-making-probabilities:
As you can see, the top-ranked teams (Abraham, Luke, David Lin, Jeff) still have put themselves in a secure position to make the playoffs - all with over 89% chance of making it.  Jeff's chances dropped a little with his loss, while David Lin and Luke saw a bump up because of their wins.

The middle-tiered teams (Justina, Duke, David Li, me) saw some more dramatic changes.  With her win, Justina increased her chances of making the playoffs by a whopping 20%.  Duke also got much closer with a win (71.52% from 48.72%), since he only needs two wins at this point to reach the 7-win mark.  David Li also gets a slight bump up in his playoff chances with a win, but my team took a big stumble with that loss (59.27% to 33.54%).  Getting 4 more wins in the last 6 weeks looks more and more daunting...  I may just have to bank on 6-wins getting me in and the bottom teams losing out from here.

The bottom four aren't entirely out of the race - Andrew gave his team some hope with a win, now with a 5.93% chance of making it (much better than 1.78% from last week!), but Gabs and Eric didn't help themselves with losses.  And let's just assume that Aaron won't make the playoffs - he'll pretty much have to win the rest of his games to have a chance.  AND HE'S NOT GOING TO WIN THIS WEEK.


1. Charlotte Hornets (5-2) [2]

Abraham unfortunately didn't get the help he needed from his QB and Alshon, but his team still put up decent numbers.  His team gets a bump up in the rankings only because Jeff's team did so poorly comparatively.  Abraham still has a scary team that I wouldn't want to play on any given week, especially with Hillman taking over RB duties in Denver.


2. Seenie J (4-3) [1]

Maclin on bye didn't help him this week - I'm willing to bet it would have made the difference for Jeff's team.  Not sure I know why he started Tate over Forsett, either, but whatevs.  Jeff's team takes a setback in its quest to win the regular season, but I think they'll bounce back.


3. Spider Pig (5-2) [4]

The only blemish in Luke's season thus far is that two-week stretch when his team just fell off the charts, in a bad way.  After that stumble, his team has recovered quite nicely.  Nicely enough to reach first place in the league.  He's been doing a good job picking up players on the waiver wire (Asiata, McKinnon, Benny Cunningham, Torrey Smith (sorry, everyone)) and making use of them.  Matt Ryan may be his biggest question mark at this point, which is not a bad problem to have.  And now he has the most points-for in the league.  This could be bad news for the rest of us.


4. Unicorn Burps (5-2) [3]

Whew, David avoided a close one there.  He's just holding on as long as he can until AlmondJoy Green can get back in action.  Looking back, his last 4 weeks have been pretty mediocre.  He's still got heavy hitters on his team (Peyton, B.Marshall, Beast Mode), but they aren't clicking on all cylinders for some reason.


5. DeMarco Da Murrier (4-3) [6]

Impressive win by Justina's team.  That DeMarco + Lamar Miller combination will continue to pay dividends.  Golden Tate, though, probably won't be putting up those kind of numbers on a weekly basis.  Even with Megatron out.  She'll have VJax back next week, which should help.  Her team gets a bump in my rankings even though she's still only officially 6th in the league.


6. Terrific Tortoises (4-3) [5]

David avoided a loss in spite of his terrible showing this week (second to last in scoring).  He can thank his Aaron Bye for that.  That Gio let him down, but his WRs picked up the slack, as they ought to (even without Percy!).  It'll be interesting to see how Harvin does in the NYJ offense.  I think it'll end up hurting David's team more than helping.  But thankfully, he has some backup help from KB and Sammy Watkins.  Smart planning on his part, not giving them up earlier on in the season.


7. I'm Coming Home. (5-2) [8]

I guess I should give Duke's team the decency of being ranked higher than my team since he beat my team this past week.  #frustrating


8. Odoyle rules! (3-4) [7]

I don't even know anymore.  Cutler kind of screwed me over and I'm regretting more and more every day that Rodgers trade.  And a lot of my other poor fantasy football life decisions.


9. TY come again (2-5) [10]

Hey there's still some hope for Andrew's team.  Maybe?  Russell Wilson continues to kill it, even without Percy, and Jamaal Charles seems to be waking up from his early-season slumber.  Plus, if you name your team after a player, they have to do well, right?  Plus, his chances of making the playoffs increased dramatically with this win!


10. #myteamSUCKS (2-5) [9]

Not a bad showing this week, but not enough for the win.  Eric needs to find some RBs to rely on, or else his team will likely continue to descend in the ranks.  Rodgers (sorry, everyone) and Jordy are the only thing going for him.  It's kind of scary that his team could have been much worse had he not traded with me.


11. The Pain Train (2-5) [11]

Orange Julius just didn't show up and Khiry got him 0.6 points... those are significant holes, even though the rest of his team did decent.  Someone's gotta be down here, I guess.


12. Chou Chainz (1-6) [12]

I really hope I don't lose to this team this week.  I know I'm jinxing myself by writing it, but I have this deep gut-wrenching feeling that I'm going to be shamed by this guy.  Wait, NO.  I REFUSE.  MUST.  STAY.  STRONGMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment