Thursday, September 4, 2014

Predictions: Week 1

The feeling of excitement, anticipation, and butterflies associated with the start a new fantasy football season begin to be dashed today.  The wheat will begin being separated from the chaff, and fantasy ecstasy along with fantasy frustration will be felt at some point by the time Tuesday rolls around.  So without further ado, predictions week 1:


Odoyle rules! v. Password is Taco
QB
Rodgers faces a tough Seattle defense, and my alternative would be starting Cutler, so... either way I favor Stafford by a hair in this one.


WR
I like my 3-some of Fitz, Torrey Smith, and Emmanuel Sanders (especially now that Wes is drugged out for a few weeks) vs. Justina's Keenan, Bictor, and VJax simply because of the QBs that are throwing to them.  I think that'll be more of a factor this week than their respective opponents' secondaries.


RB
This one should be obvious.  I'm not even sure how long Lamar Miller will last as the Dolphins's starting RB.  Even with the loss of Aldon Smith, SF still has a solid defense, and DeMarco is too flaky for me to trust his ability to do anything useful.  Even if she puts in Joique (Please don't!  I mean... please do!  I mean...), I'm still liking my RBs's chances vs. Cleveland (Le'Veon) and Arizona (Mathews).  Or even Pierce, who will only have to fight himself in securing a bigger role with the Ravens running game.


TE
Cam will be going to Olsen all day.


K/DEF
Only because she has nothing right now, and whatever she picks up from waivers can't be THAT good, right?


Winner:
I'M HOPING.



Unicorn Burps v. Terrific Tortoises
QB
Until Nick Foles can prove his consistency, I'm going to have to go with the safer pick in Brady.  That's not to say that Foles won't blow up in Week 1.  I'd just rather not put my neck out for him.


WR
I've already established how David Lin has probably the best starting 3 WRs in the league.  There's no reason that Week 1 won't prove my point.  David Li has a good set of WRs as well, but unfortunately not as good as commissioner David's trio.  I think David Li is just hoping no one gets hurt Week 1 so he can at least get some more usage out of his big-name WRs in the not-too-distant-future.


RB
Even though they aren't spectacular, I think David Lin yet again has an advantage over David Li at the RB spot.  Gio should be a solid play, but I'm not sure what the Patriots' running plan is going to be, with Stevan Ridley sure to steal some points from Vereen.  Since Marshawn and Rashad Jennings are clearly their respective teams' starters, they should be poised to produce a good number of points.  Ok, maybe not Jennings since the Giants run game hasn't been all that great since Tiki Barber.  But at least compared to Gio and Vereen, Marshawn and Jennings should do fine.


TE
I'm getting tired of seeing David Lin's face.  Plus, Zach Ertz's name starts with a Z and ends with a Z.  Mind blown.


K/DEF
NE offense > SF offense.  SD offense > Baltimore offense.  Follow my logic?


Winner:
I mean, he had the number one team in the power rankings.  Could I really have him losing this first week?



GHOTEM v. #SOverySHADY
QB
Is this really even a question?  Eric has Eli.


WR
Even against a ridiculous Seahawks secondary, I think Jordy will do well.  Andrew knew that his WRs would be weak after he spent a buttload on Jamaal Charles and Frank Gore.  I'm surprised Andrew isn't starting Hilton.


RB
This one will be an interesting matchup to see played out.  I think this will be one of the few weeks that Andrew's dump of money into his RBs won't guarantee him a clear-cut advantage at the RB spot.  It'll be a close race, but I think Andrew will still squeak out of it on top.


TE
Since whoever is Cleveland's QB aka Hoyziel won't have anyone else to throw to besides Cameron...


K/DEF
All I have to say is... Seahawks Defense.


Winner:
If Eric can pull out a victory in the RB department, this game could easily go in his favor.  But for now, I think Andrew has the upper hand.



The Pain Train v. Choux AKA Sweet Buns
QB
Let's see, Drew Brees or Andy Dalton?  Gabs is like... SO OBVI.


WR
Aaron's got Dez, but that's it.  That might be enough this week, though.


RB
Both Lacy and Martin will be facing really tough defenses this Sunday.  I'm not sold on Stacy, though, and I'm still sour on CJ Spiller.  This one will be a close one, but I'll have to give Gabs the slight advantage here.


TE
Jimmy Graham number one pick!  Julius Thomas will make it close, though.


K/DEF
Seems like a wash to me, but perhaps Tennessee's offense is worse than Miami's, so advantage Gabs.


Winner:
This one might be closer than you'd think, given the matchups.  I'm sure Gabs is hoping Aaron's autopicked players don't embarrass his reigning championship.  In Week 1.



Seenie J v. I'm Coming Home.
QB
Peyton v. Kaepernick.  Not even close.


WR
Jeff's WRs are weak, especially compared to Duke's.  I'm liking Brandin Cooks blowing up this year, too.


RB
It'll be interesting to see how Ben Tate plays out on an overall-crappy Browns team.  But Forte should be enough to tip the scales in Jeff's favor.  Especially since Duke is relying on Alfred Morris and Andre Ellington, neither of who (whom?) really turns heads.


TE
Ebron will be sharing targets with Pettigrew, so Heath Miller looks like a better start this week, IMO.


K/DEF
Go Panthers!  Duke found a replacement for Shayne Graham, even though he didn't really need to, but regardless, Jeff should still be able to score more points in this category.


Winner:
If you follow the standards set by my power rankings, this will the first upset of the season.  But that's assuming that my power rankings are actually legit and my ability to predict games is also legit.  And I'll be the first to admit that that might be assuming a lot.  AND YET YOU ARE STILL READING.



Charlotte Hornets v. Spider Pig
QB
Matt Ryan and the Falcons will be in a shoot-out with the Saints.  Right?  Sure, why not.


WR
Outside of Demaryius, Luke isn't too strong at WR.  Abraham has much more depth with Antonio Brown, Alshon, and Randall Cobb.  Definite advantage to Abraham.


RB
This shouldn't even be a question.  Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster (who probably won't get hurt yet) vs. Montee Ball and Toby Gerhart?  Ok, so whatevs it was a question.  But seriously, watch Montee and Toby blow up this week.  It's possible.


TE
I don't even want to give an advantage here, because there really isn't one to be had.  But if I had to... a slight one to Luke for a has-been Gates over Ebron.


K/DEF
Another draw here, in my mind.  So this one I'll give to Abraham.


Winner:
QB and RB FTW.

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to submit one, but it will need to go through an approval process aka I have to like it.

    ReplyDelete