Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Power Rankings: Week 2

Week 2 seemed to bring clarity for some teams (top 2 and bottom 3), but confusion for most (#3-9).  Here's to hoping that more clarity comes sooner, but knowing that you hardly ever get what you ask for in fantasy football.  Flex?!


1. The Pain Train (2-0) [1]

Even with the early exit of Eddie Lacy, Gabs scores the 2nd most in the league this week, with much help from Julio Jones.  Pretty impressive, in my opinion.  Even if RGIII goes down again, Philip Rivers has been doing pretty well the first two weeks, so I think Gabs's team is in a pretty good place right now.  RB2 may be his only weakness, if he even has any at this point.  Gabs's team is still the one to beat.


2. Unicorn Burps (1-1) [2]

Sure, David loses and an argument could be made to bump him down in the rankings, but I'm not convinced there's a team worthy of surpassing him quite yet.  I like his QB and TE situation, and although his WRs didn't do as well as they did in Week 1, I think they'll generally do better than Week 2 showed us.  RBs are a little weak, but I think he can rely on his other players to lead his blessing of unicorns.  I bet you didn't know that, did you?  A group of unicorns is called a blessing.  You're welcome, for making you smarter.


3. Pinchers of Peril (1-1) [6]

I'm not so sure my 3 WRs can provide 40+ points every week, but I'm going to milk it while I can.  If C.J. Spiller can stay in the double digits on a consistent basis and Andrew Luck doesn't mess things up too much, I think I can live with the disappointing David Wilson.


4. Ham'wheelin'&dealin (1-1) [7]

Muscle Hamster with the top score of the week!  I was having doubts, but his team proved me wrong, yet again.  If they can be more consistent, they'll be steadily moving up in the rankings.  I'm not a fan of roller coaster performances (unless you're talking about Eric's at Cedar Point), but I'm thinking his team will show us more Week 2's than they will Week 1's.  One recommendation I would give him is to never start Tony Romo again, except for maybe Vick's bye week.  But even then, look for another QB on the waivers if possible.  I know, I know, there will be weeks where Vick lays a goose egg, but I'd ride him hard for all he's worth, at least for now.  As far as RBs, even with Reggie Bush's status unknown, I think Eric can get by with Fred Jackson hogging all the red-zone runs for the Bills, at least until he can get some healthy RBs back in the lineup.


5. Password is Taco (2-0) [9]

Ok, it's time to show Justina's team a little more respect.  This is somewhat reminiscent of 2011 when I had little-to-no respect for Justina's team, and then she showed us all up and became the league champ.  While this season's team has not yet reached the level of the 2011 JUSTINA OWNS status, it definitely has proven to be one to watch out for.  Beast Mode showed us what he's capable of (one of those TDs was just a gimme, which would have probably cost Justina the game, but still would have given her a respectable amount of points), and Greg Olsen showed us he's the only one that can do anything on that sorry Panthers team ($10 says Rivera is gone next season, if not sooner).  Kaepernick won't play so poorly each week (hopefully), so I'd say Justina's team is in pretty decent shape.  Good thing she picked up Jacuzzi to back that Jackson up.


6. Choux AKA Sweet Buns (1-1) [3]

Week 1 was forgivable, but two weeks in the bottom half of the league in scoring merits a bump down in the rankings.  Not knowing who to start at RB2 may continue to bug Aaron, especially now that Joique Bell will probably be getting more touches.  Jimmy Graham yet again proves to be a smart selection, but he'll need more than Graham and Foster to keep his team going.  I'm thinking about changing his team photo, because every time I look at it I get hungry for some pastries... Oh, speaking of which..


7.  Spider Pig (1-1) [5]

Perhaps as a response to Luke's lowered self-esteem, his team gives an esteem-less Week 2 performance.  He's got some hope on the bench with Gio having a great MNF and Tavon Austin turning heads, but it's a matter of how comfortable he feels starting either of them over his current starters.  It may not be a bad idea in Golden Tate's case, but he'll need a little more help from Fitz and Torrey Smith in order to stay competitive.


8. Terrific Tortoises (0-2) [8]

David's team put together a respectable Week 2 showing, but he just had to go up against the highest scoring team of the week.  Someone has to do it, unfortunately.  I still believe in David's team, though.  I think it has all the pieces outside of solid RBs for a good run.  Surely it's enough to get him higher in the standings and rankings and hopefully improve his general outlook on fantasy football.  Right?!  Don't you just love this game, David?  Don't you?


9. You've Changed Bro (1-1) [4]

It's hard for me to comprehend why I gave Duke's team such a high bump up after Week 1.  Surely I should have known that it was a fluke, right?  Well, his team got a big reality check this week, going from being the 2nd highest scoring team to the lowest scoring team.  And Ray Rice's status is... who knows.  I wanted to put him somewhere in the #6-8 range, because I don't like making drastic moves in the rankings, but I have a feeling his team will be staying down here for a while.


10. Seenie J (1-1) [10]

It's an ugly win for Jeff, but I doubt he's complaining.  After 2 weeks, I'm still not seeing enough at the WR spot to convince me that his team deserves a bump up.  Stick to studying, Jeff - it'll probably pay off more in the long run.


11. Jen Wong's Team (1-1) [12]

Jen pulls off a somewhat-impressive win, but mostly on the auspices of Seattle's Defense.  Not to downplay the importance of having a solid Defense, but she won't be able to rely on them getting 22 points a week for her.  The same goes for Knowshon Moreno, especially with Denver's RB-by-committee approach and their heavy usage of the passing game.  For now, I'll keep her team down here, although with some good fortune (Drew Brees playing to his expected level, the Brees-Colston doubling factor, and T.Y. Hilton keeping it up, as well as Seattle D continuing to dominate), Jen's team could move up in the rankings.  Baby steps.


12. Charlotte Hornets (0-2) [11]

Oh, what a bitter loss for the Bobcats.  Abraham's team has managed to score the least amount of combined points the past two weeks, and I'm not sure the future looks much more promising.  Laura's crappy luck has unfortunately lingered, and even a name change hasn't helped Abraham in this case.  Is Week 2 too early to call a season a rebuilding year?  Maybe not, because I think the Panthers are already chalking this year up to be one.  Here's my hypothesis: it must be the inclusion of "Charlotte" in Abraham's team's name that's doing it.  That has to be it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, if nothing else, I love the avatar that you've given my team on the blog!

    ReplyDelete