Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Power Rankings: Week 1

And Week 1 reminds us of how much we love and how much we hate fantasy football.  Right?

1. The Pain Train (1-0) [1]

I don't see a convincing reason to bump Gabs's team down yet.  Sure, his team didn't score the most points in Week 1, but it still produced a solid performance without James Jones doing anything.  I would argue pretty much all of his players gave a performance they were expected to give, so no real surprises here.  On top of that, Julio Jones may get more looks now that Roddy White is half broken.


2. Unicorn Burps (1-0) [5]

David puts together a dominant Week 1, with much help from a previously-no-name TE who had a ridiculous QB throwing to him on Thursday night.  Will it happen again?  Maybe not to that same degree, but I think Julian Thomas will treat David quite well this season.  Not to mention another Bronco named Thomas.  I'm waiting for these numbers to happen every week before giving David the top spot, but it's definitely achievable in the near future.  Peyton Manning may not throw 7 TDs again, but that doesn't mean the Thomas duo won't still be heavily involved.


3. Choux AKA Sweet Buns (1-0) [3]

Aaron's team has the right players to make a great team, so I'm not concerned he scored in the bottom half of the league this week.  He even has some nice sleepers on the bench if he needs to go there.  Victor Cruz saved him from embarrassment and got him by this week, but I believe in Aaron's ability to make his team work in future weeks.


4. You've Changed Bro (1-0) [11]

I'll start by saying Peyton Manning will be not scoring 60+ points a week, so Duke definitely lucked out to a certain extent this first week.  However, even you took away half of Manning's points (giving him 30 points, which is much more conceivable), Duke would have still broken 100 off of impressive performances by Ray Rice, Ryan Mathews, and A.J. Green.  While Mathews probably won't put up those numbers on a weekly basis, I think Rice and Green can be relied upon.  And if Peyton Manning can continue to show glimpses of his old days, Duke's team may be a force to be reckoned with.


5. Spider Pig (1-0) [6]

Even though Luke's team beat mine, I'm not all that impressed with how his team performed.  I'm not sure he can bank on Vernon Davis as his 2nd highest scorer each week and expect to win games.  And while his RB1, WR1 and WR2 are pretty good options, he's hoping he doesn't have to look to his bench for help in any circumstances.  Because it may not look too pretty.  I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter that he beat me.  But I guess it would make sense to keep him ahead of my team...


6. Pinchers of Peril (0-1) [7]

David Wilson - I knew he was going to be trouble.  Freaking fftoolbox.com said he would be the breakout player of the year.  More like breaksuck player of Week 1.  And C.J. Spiller.. giving me RB woes all over again.  But hey, I like the rest of my team.  So far, at least.


7. Ham'wheelin'&dealin (0-1) [2]

While Eric had a very unfavorable matchup this week, to be fair, the only other team he would have beaten is David Li's team.  So let's not go there.  Eric's RBs did pretty well, but not well enough to make up for his disappointing WRs.  Maybe I overhyped his team a little during the preseason.  But I think he has upside - Eric has a way of getting things done.  So I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point.  That doesn't mean he deserves a higher spot in the rankings, though.


8. Terrific Tortoises (0-1) [4]

Ouch.  I'm not sure what else to say.  David falls back to last place in the league, in spite of early praises about a good draft.  I think his outlook is positive, which is why he isn't at the very bottom of the power rankings.  But it's definitely looking bleaker than before.  I think he has a decent enough bench to pull from, but with question marks next to a lot of important players (Roddy White, Stevan Ridley, Lamar Miller), it's hard to be certain what the future holds.  Shouldn't Megatron be getting like.. 10 times the amount of points per week?


9. Password is Taco (1-0) [10]

Justina's team had an impressive Week 1, but I'm skeptical as to whether they can keep it up.  I think Kaep will be a huge asset for her team, but I'm still not convinced about the rest of her players.  Marshawn and the Seahawks aren't looking like the Super Bowl team some were claiming them to be a week ago, but then again, they were up against a stiff Panther D.  I can't justify ranking her team higher at this point, though.  I need more proof.  Yes, her team beat David's, but I don't think it could do it again if they played each other Week 2.  If she proves me wrong, her team will definitely move up.


10. Seenie J (0-1) [8]

I'm liking his 1-2 punch at RB, but can't get excited about the rest of his team (besides Cam, who I like for other reasons outside of fantasy).  With nothing on the bench to get excited about (besides his recent waiver pick-ups) and school to consume the majority of his time, Jeff's fantasy outlook isn't so great right now.


11. Charlotte Hornets (0-1) [9]

Abraham had the unlucky privilege of being David Lin's opponent Week 1.  Even if he started all of his highest scoring players, it wouldn't have been enough to even put up a fight.  While nothing really impresses me about Abraham's team at this point, I think if Richardson can step up and Welker continues to put up nice numbers, we could see glimpses of the 90s Charlotte Hornets instead of the 2010s Charlotte Bobcats.


12. Jen Wong's Team (0-1) [12]

I still don't see Jen's team giving people a run for their money.  Drew Brees is her sole bright spot at this point, and that may give her a few wins here and there, but I'm not convinced it's enough to be a threat.  It's all about the team name.  Her's is just not intimidating.

1 comment:

  1. Can I get a new photo? The current one makes me feel self conscious about my weight

    ReplyDelete