Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Because Justina told me to...

More analytics run on our fantasy league. I extrapolated our top 50 players Season-to-date and saw how much they affected our overall team performances. Here is the summary table:


First impressions... obviously our top two teams belong where they are. Justina has a walloping 8 players in the Top 50 overall with Jeff nipping on her boots at 6. What's shocking, though, is the fact that Laura and David have just as many players in the top 50 as Jeff, yet have two of the worst records in the league. A mystery? Not quite. With my incredible deductive powers and Watson, aka Microsoft Excel, at my side, a closer look reveals some shocking truths.


Justina's team has a great distribution of players covering a wide array of positions, while Jeff has two QBs and two TE's in his top 50 distribution. Even though Justina's team has several bottom feeders of the top 50, she also has big powerhouses (3 in the top 15). Jeff also has 3 in the top 15, but the fact that he has two QB's in the top 20 means he can definitely afford to upgrade some other positions. What does this mean? Justina and Jeff have been riding their sheer power in the top 15 to a hotspot in our rankings. The only other team with 3 players in the top 15? odoyle RULES (Cam, Steve, and LeSean). Which means, watch out league... Tim's a coming.


Now what about our friends at the bottom? While Laura and David have a decent distribution of positions in their top 50, you'll notice that their player ranks are significantly lower. What does this mean?

Quality > Quantity

Even though Laura and David matched Jeff in number of players in the top 50, their top 6 players scored a walloping 200 pts less than Jeff's top players. In actuality, Jeff (802) and Justina's (840.3) teams are in another world when looking at total points from top 50 players, with the closest runner up being aaronisyourdaddy (613.7). Why then, is Aaron at a mediocre 6th place in the league? Easy. The rest of his team stinks. Unless... Antonio Gates starts stringing some games together. 

The last enigma Luke will visit today, is JohnKasay#1. Eric only has 4 players in the top 50, with his best player being Mike Wallace (16th overall) and barely getting any production from his top 50 (414.1). Why is he 3rd in the league, you may ask. I could say something about his managing skills, or the fact that Frank Gore has shot up in production lately (10th overall in last 4 weeks). Truth is, I have no idea, but Eric's on a 4-game winning streak and I think I'd rather not play him. 

What can we infer from all of this? Having a well balanced attack at the top makes a huge difference (Justina vs Jeff) and having some top-heavy players can separate you from the pack (J&J vs everyone else). One last observation... Spider Pig only has 1 player in the top 20 (Vick) and his top 50 players haven't contributed much (559.7) but you people have been ranking his team in the top 5 for several weeks now. Overrated? Or is the Pig a brilliant FF mastermind that plays the waiver wire like a fratstar plays sorority girls? I'll let you decide...

Also, because Justina likes graphs, here's one to leave you with:


Luke's Power Rankings:
  1. JUSTINA OWNS
  2. Rainbow Warriors
  3. odoyle RULES
  4. JohnKasay#1
  5. Spider Pig
  6. aaronisyourdaddy
  7. Terrific Tortoises
  8. The Debbinator
  9. RelientK
  10. THE Pain Train 

5 comments:

  1. Its because I have the 2nd highest pts against total in the league. Except for the first week, everyone has scored at least 100 pts against me. I'm the only team in the league that this has happened to. Justina and Jeff have only had 2 and 3 100+ opponents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much I'm almost crying.

    I especially love where you say I deserve my #1 spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little perturbed that Jeffrey has not been sharing my enthusiasm. It makes me feel like I'm a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My argument for Eric would be two-fold:
    (1) He's got the 3rd least points against in the league, allowing him to capitalize on some big wins (v. Jeff and v. Justina)
    (2) He's done a fair job of knowing who to start. Not perfect, but good enough to get some wins, as mentioned in point 1. Sometimes having too many players at one position can be a disadvantage, since you can't start them all (as Laura and David have experienced on certain weeks).

    Nice work, Luke. Especially in putting my team at 3. I was thinking it, but I didn't dare rank myself that high quite yet.

    ReplyDelete