Friday, August 29, 2014

Joique Bell vs. Kelvin Benjamin

The trade between David Li and Justina ends up going through.  In case no one has been following, David gives up Joique Bell to Justina for Kelvin Benjamin.  Who comes out with the better deal in this one?  Let's work it out.

Joique Bell


What Justina gains: An RB who is supposed to split time with Reggie Bush on what will probably be a pass-happy-playing-from-behind Lions team.  But considering the fact that her RB2 is Lamar Miller behind RB1 DeMarco Murray, Bell could easily replace Miller as an RB2, which provides Justina with immediate impact.
What David loses: A backup RB that he may or may not even need to play due to his starters and rest of his bench, even though it does not look to be super reliable (Chris Johnson, Knowshon Moreno).

Kelvin Benjamin


What David gains: A rookie WR, with amazing potential, who will be the primary wide-out for a Pro-Bowl QB.  Benjamin will surely ride David's bench for a while, at least until one of the three injury-prone WRs on David's team gets hurt (Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Percy Harvin).  I'm thinking David took this route as insurance at the WR position, seeing as how Sammy Watkins is his only other WR.
What Justina loses: A potential breakout WR, but since her bench is so crowded with WRs that she could potentially start over Benjamin (Anquan Boldin, Golden Tate, Kenny Britt... sike), she's not losing way too much.

Who wins? 
It's kind of a draw in my mind.  I mean, just look at their photos - don't they look like the same person?  Or at least brothers?  Wait, was that racist?  #stuffwhitepeoplesay

But seriously, Bell gives Justina an advantage in the short term because it provides her with some more wiggle wiggle wiggle room at RB.  But in the long-run, I'm thinking David will benefit more with KB, simply because one of his WRs are bound to fall apart, and I'm big on KB doing well this year.  I'm sure David is hoping the same thing.  If I had to choose, I'd say David wins.

I actually think that this trade was conceived on draft day.  As I recall, David outbid Justina for Joique Bell by getting kicked out of the draft room and auto-draft (and its stupid self) took over.  At which point I conjecture that Justina agreed to later pick up Kelvin Benjamin (and outbid me in the process... still somewhat bitter over it) for David as a future trade.  Or Justina could have just straight bullied me for her own pleasure.  *Sigh*

2 comments:

  1. I tried to veto this like 8 times for good measure. Definitely uneven in terms of potential, especially with no Steve Smith around now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Carolina is run-first team and Cam loves dumping it to Olsen, so it's possible that KB never fully plays to his potential. Last year, no Carolina WR did all that great fantasy-wise. But I agree, KB has way more upside than Bell. It'll just depend on how the cookie crumbles.

    ReplyDelete